Sri Lanka Equity Forum
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka Equity Forum would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.


Thank You
Sri Lanka Equity Forum

Discussion Forum for Stock Market Investors in Sri Lanka

සිංහල පරිවර්තනය
Submit Post
Submit Post

Latest topics

» CSE WEEKLY
by ruwan326 Today at 7:02 pm

» MARKET CRASH - GUARANTEED
by samaritan Today at 4:27 pm

» රජයට කෘත්‍රිමව රුපියල පාලනය කළ හැකිද?
by samaritan Today at 2:50 pm

» DOLLAR MOVING UP UP
by samaritan Today at 10:30 am

» Maharaja from Rajasthan
by ruwan326 Today at 9:29 am

» Weekly Stock Market Roundup
by Insights Equity Yesterday at 10:40 pm

» MARKET CRASH - NOT GUARANTEED
by DS Wijesinghe Yesterday at 10:17 pm

» Summary of Key Announcements during the week 10 August 2018
by ruwan326 Yesterday at 7:32 pm

» Daily Foreign Transactions
by ruwan326 Yesterday at 7:30 pm

» Daily Stock Market Update
by Insights Equity Yesterday at 7:11 pm

» ඩොලරය රු. 170 යි
by samaritan Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» Central Bank will intervene if rupee moves on speculation – official
by samaritan Yesterday at 2:49 pm

» WHY SRI LANKAN CAN NOT DO THIS
by Chanuque Yesterday at 6:24 am

» Time has come to reverse 70 years history
by ruwan326 Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:22 pm

» Gold climbs as dollar weakens on U.S.-China trade dispute
by Miss-Sangeetha Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:39 pm

» BLI Shares
by EGG Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:03 pm

» Banking shares Value picks for long term
by jayathu Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:32 pm

» UAL - Going down now?
by ruwan326 Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:47 pm

» Quality Management Systems
by lenny123 Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:54 am

» ASI MAY GO DOWN TO 5950
by Ahcha Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:43 am

» Clarification on the Erroneous Report regarding Sri Lanka issued by Nomura Holdings Inc.
by ruwan326 Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:59 am

» PLAYERS PICK OF THE DAY
by Ryan Hudson Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:49 am

» Invest on valuable metal
by Supunnawarathna Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:54 pm

» Market going down today?
by ruwan326 Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:00 pm

» SFL COLLECTION GOING ON....??????????
by sanjulanka Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:11 am

» ANILANA MANDATORY OFFER
by ruwan326 Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:52 pm

» Treasury to take over key role of Central Bank
by ruwan326 Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:45 am

» Foreign Investment
by niru Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:49 pm

» Janashankthi Ins Deal
by sameboy Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:59 am

» We are not exporting at least 60 products under GSP+ list of 6,000 items: PM
by ruwan326 Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:44 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sri Lanka Equity Forum » Expert Chamber » Discussion on Alternative Investment

Discussion on Alternative Investment

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

1 Discussion on Alternative Investment on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:14 pm

kelumhewage


Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
First topic message reminder :

dear experts...
just need to find out because of share market frustration i have and just thought of looking for a new invesment and also need to find out the reliability and productivity of this so called investment..

please have some time to give me a genuine idea about this and all comment are welcome warmly...

thought of this is gonna give me peace of mind and all possible posssitve and negetive comments...

experts call.... Question



Last edited by Monster on Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Title changed)


81 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:31 pm

Appuhamy


Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics

Dear Chinwi,

I am also interested in starting a orchid plantation. Could you please
tell me how to stat it.

Including 1) Infrastructure 2) Disease 3) Fertilizer 4) Income 5) Main expenses

Thank you.

82 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:34 pm

Whitebull


Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
If someone can change the topic according to the contents it is better.

83 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:46 am

Chinwi


Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
@Appuhamy wrote:
Dear Chinwi,

I am also interested in starting a orchid plantation. Could you please
tell me how to stat it.

Including 1) Infrastructure 2) Disease 3) Fertilizer 4) Income 5) Main expenses

Thank you.


Orchid growing is one of the highest return generators in agriculture.
Similarly, putting money to Orchid growing in commercial level is one of highest risk taking investment you can do.

Hence you have to have a thorough knowledge and experience about it before investing in larger scale.
Actually in that sense it is same like stock trading.

Best way is to start slowly in small scale , get experience and then expand it gradually. You can visit farms, exhibitions, talk with people while studying it. It is good if you can visit Chatuchak market in Bangkok some day specially in a Wednesday.

I want to reply you like this, mainly because, these orchids are very much vulnerable to decieses like roor rot, top rot , bacterial attacts and various pest attacks. Not like in other crops, here it is very diffucult to locate and notice an attack before it damaging lot of plants.
For eg. root rot spread inside the entire plant first by destroying all the roots and then damaging psedobulbs while the leaves stay in very much healthy looking state.
At such stage you cannot do anythng but remove the plant. If this happen to the entire bed/lot you loose your money and hopes.

Hence first, you have to have some knowledge and experience about this cultivation . Continuous watching and learning is needed; until you are confident enough to invest in large scale.
There are lot of things books do not say.

Damages due to rain is also a big problem. Too much dampness in rooting media will rot your plants, definitely.
If you can invest in toatally or partially controlled environment that is worthwhile. Specially if you can protect plants from rain a big problm is over and your income will increase.

Later today or tmr, I will put here some info/replies to your questions.

මිට අවුරුදු 20 කට පමණ පෙර මගෙන් උපදෙස් අරන් මේ වැඩේ පටන්ගත්ත අය අතුරින් එක්කෙනෙක් දේශීය වෙළෙඳ පොළ අල්ලාගෙන පස්සේ එක්ස්පෝට් කරලා අද ලංකාවේ කෝටි පතියෙක් වෙච්ච කෙනෙක් ඉන්නවා. හැබැයි දැන්නම් එයා ට ඒ කාලේ මතක නැහැ. No contacts now. But, I can guide you to the people who are selling seedlings ( including that guy) .

If you are in no hurry, willing to learn by mistakes ( there will be lot of mistakes + losses) you can become an expert on this. Even if you fail in first instances, that knowledge will pay you in future. - same like stock market.

-chinwi

84 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:10 pm

Redbulls


Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics
@Whitebull wrote:If someone can change the topic according to the contents it is better.

Good point from my friend.
(I mentioned my friend because you came in to the forum on the same day one of my good friend say bye to this forum)
Admin,Mod can consider heading like 'Discussion on Alternative Investment'.
Am I right Whitebull?

85 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:14 pm

Appuhamy


Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics

Thank you very much Chinwi ...

86 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:24 pm

stumpy

avatar
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Dear Chinwi,

Great respect master!
I'm one of the keen followers of you from those good old days @ investnow!

I never know about this side of yours!
Other than to trading the markets, I was involved with several researches at various places!

I know da person who you're a talking about!
And you're not the only one who's telling this story about him!
So many ppl from various levels told me similar stories! Very Happy

Looks like we have lot more things to learn from you!
Sincerely hoping to meet you one day!

Best Regards,
Stumpy

87 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:38 pm

Green79

avatar
Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic
Fabulous work Chinwi, i really appreciate your knowledge sharing.

My thanks to the other expertise as well for your contribution.

Suddenly it triggered my mind now , saying why don't we forum members start a project similar to this, may it be Orchid, Teak, Coconut, or any other...!

88 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:24 pm

Appuhamy


Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
Dear Chinwi,

Thanks for the valuable information.

i have followings to clarify with expert person like you....if you don't mind Smile

1) Is there any organization in Sri Lanka related to Orchid plantation. (Like
coconut research institute for coconuts)

2) As a beginner, where can I found seminars and exhibitions.

3) Where can I buy books about Orchid plantation.


Thank you.

89 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:44 pm

Chinwi

avatar
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Hi Stumpy my friend, Green79, appuhami & others,

Thank you. Nice to hear from you.

Few years ago, I tried something similar to Green's suggestion but did not workout due to many reasons. It was an LLC , initially done by me, then offer shares to others who are interested to join as contributing holders.



90 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:05 pm

Monster

avatar
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
@Redbulls wrote:
@Whitebull wrote:If someone can change the topic according to the contents it is better.

Good point from my friend.
(I mentioned my friend because you came in to the forum on the same day one of my good friend say bye to this forum)
Admin,Mod can consider heading like 'Discussion on Alternative Investment'.
Am I right Whitebull?
Those who are seeking alternative investment option,

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t17116-investment-saving-for-kids

91 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:07 pm

Redbulls

avatar
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics
@Monster wrote:
@Redbulls wrote:
@Whitebull wrote:If someone can change the topic according to the contents it is better.

Good point from my friend.
(I mentioned my friend because you came in to the forum on the same day one of my good friend say bye to this forum)
Admin,Mod can consider heading like 'Discussion on Alternative Investment'.
Am I right Whitebull?
Those who are seeking alternative investment option,

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t17116-investment-saving-for-kids

Why can't this topic move to Expert chamber?

92 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:54 pm

Monster

avatar
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
@Redbulls wrote:
@Monster wrote:
@Redbulls wrote:
@Whitebull wrote:If someone can change the topic according to the contents it is better.

Good point from my friend.
(I mentioned my friend because you came in to the forum on the same day one of my good friend say bye to this forum)
Admin,Mod can consider heading like 'Discussion on Alternative Investment'.
Am I right Whitebull?
Those who are seeking alternative investment option,

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t17116-investment-saving-for-kids

Why can't this topic move to Expert chamber?
Title changed and moved to Expert Chamber

93 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:20 pm

Redbulls

avatar
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics
@Monster wrote:
@Redbulls wrote:
@Monster wrote:
@Redbulls wrote:
@Whitebull wrote:If someone can change the topic according to the contents it is better.

Good point from my friend.
(I mentioned my friend because you came in to the forum on the same day one of my good friend say bye to this forum)
Admin,Mod can consider heading like 'Discussion on Alternative Investment'.
Am I right Whitebull?
Those who are seeking alternative investment option,

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t17116-investment-saving-for-kids

Why can't this topic move to Expert chamber?
Title changed and moved to Expert Chamber

Thank you so much for your effort.

94 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:30 pm

UKboy

avatar
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Can someone pls help me to find the sinhala words for following wood types.

Rosewood.
Walnut
Maple

& Also the english words for followings

Nadun,
Burutha



95 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:55 pm

Slstock

avatar
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics
Need to double check for accuracy but for now Scientific names /English names

Burutha - Chloroxylon swietenia / Satinwood
Nadun - Pericopsis mooniana/Nandu wood?

Need to check on the others

@UKboy wrote:Can someone pls help me to find the sinhala words for following wood types.

Rosewood.
Walnut
Maple

& Also the english words for followings

Nadun,
Burutha



96 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:17 pm

Slstock

avatar
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics
Sinhalese names are tricky as these are not native to sri lanka. Sometime they might not have a common usage name in Sinhalese. Need to research further. Worthinton's Ceylon Trees book would have been handy but then again trees not native Sri Lanka will be a problem.



Walnut - Juglans regia - sinhalese name Aettakottam?
Rosewood- Dalbergia latifolia
Maple - Acer

@UKboy wrote:Can someone pls help me to find the sinhala words for following wood types.

Rosewood.
Walnut
Maple

& Also the english words for followings

Nadun,
Burutha



97 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:55 pm

Chinwi

avatar
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
@slstock wrote:Need to double check for accuracy but for now Scientific names /English names

Burutha - Chloroxylon swietenia / Satinwood
Nadun - Pericopsis mooniana/Nandu wood?

Need to check on the others

@UKboy wrote:Can someone pls help me to find the sinhala words for following wood types.

Rosewood.
Walnut
Maple

& Also the english words for followings

Nadun,
Burutha




I also have the same data as slstock given for Nadun and Burutha

For Nadun we can't find any English term. Nadun is not a Sinhala name, it is common term in Asia. It was (name ?) introduced to LK by Dutch ppl.

For Indian Rosewood (Dalbergia lantifolia) I have no Sinhala name. BTW, there is a variety called Dalbergia lanceolaria which can be found locally in LK; it is called Bol Maara බොල් මාර

For Walnut ඇට කොට්ටන් is given in books.

98 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:16 pm

Slstock

avatar
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics
@Chinwi wrote:
@slstock wrote:Need to double check for accuracy but for now Scientific names /English names

Burutha - Chloroxylon swietenia / Satinwood
Nadun - Pericopsis mooniana/Nandu wood?

Need to check on the others

@UKboy wrote:Can someone pls help me to find the sinhala words for following wood types.

Rosewood.
Walnut
Maple

& Also the english words for followings

Nadun,
Burutha




I also have the same data as slstock given for Nadun and Burutha

For Nadun we can't find any English term. Nadun is not a Sinhala name, it is common term in Asia. It was (name ?) introduced to LK by Dutch ppl.

For Indian Rosewood (Dalbergia lantifolia) I have no Sinhala name. BTW, there is a variety called Dalbergia lanceolaria which can be found locally in LK; it is called Bol Maara බොල් මාර

For Walnut ඇට කොට්ටන් is given in books.

Most of the wood names used for furniture during the dutch era can be found in the book "R. L. Brohier’s Furniture of the Dutch Period".

Chinwi,

Good as you just confirmed what I found about Rosewood and Walnut ( sinhalese name "Aettakottam" which is apparently not used much by people).

Indian name for Rosewood tree (Dalbergia lantifolia) is 'beete" or "sitsal" according to research.


Maple is a mystery yet as it belong to Acer Genus which apparently has 100s of species. No sinhalese name can be traced yet. If someone knows please post.

99 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:42 am

Sstar

avatar
Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics
Its always better to invest in different asset classes so that you could minimize the risk and maximize the profits.

100 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:18 am

kimsungnyon147


Stock Trader
I have a provider who is ready, willing and able of delivering banking instruments (BG/SBLC) for lease which can be used in all forms of projects. Our bank instrument can be used as collateral to seek for loans from different banks of choice and can be used to engage into ppp trading. 

For contacting purpose: 
Contact : Mr. Kim Sungnyon
  Skype ID: kim.sungnyon
  Email : sungnyon.bgsblc(AT)gmail(DOT)com

101 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:18 pm

Jayaraman


Stock Trader
We are Providers of all types of BG and MTN with the best workable procedures. Our BG ranges from MT799, MT760,(Both two way confirmation), MT103/23, MT103 (Both can be one way confirmation and two way confirmation) in USD and EUROS. Issuing Bank ranges from Top world 25 banks with face value ranging from 5M EUROS/USD to IB EUROS/USD

BROKERS ARE WELCOME & 100% PROTECTED!!!

Intermediaries/Consultants/Brokers are welcome to bring their clients and cases to our attention and in complete confidence we will work together for the benefits of all parties involve

 

For further details contact us with the below information Thank you.

Mr. Rajamanickam Jayaraman

For further inquiries:

Skype: raja.jayinvestment

102 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:22 pm

SUSPENS

avatar
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
admin plzzzzzzzz

103 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:40 pm

Chinwi

avatar
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Kill them !

104 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:14 am

soileconomy

avatar
Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics
Our forum was having fruitful discussions .now I do not see it that much

105 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:15 am

teebone.123


Stock Trader
Dear Team

I would be really obliged if you could provide me with any detailed report pertaining to the Direct Foreign Investments in Srilankan Markets and any economic review of Srilankan economy would be helpful

106 Re: Discussion on Alternative Investment on Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:01 pm

TARGET


Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
@Chinwi wrote:
@Appuhamy wrote:
Dear Chinwi,

I am also interested in starting a orchid plantation. Could you please
tell me how to stat it.

Including 1) Infrastructure 2) Disease 3) Fertilizer 4) Income 5) Main expenses

Thank you.


Orchid growing is one of the highest return generators in agriculture.
Similarly, putting money to Orchid growing in commercial level is one of highest risk taking investment you can do.

Hence you have to have a thorough  knowledge and experience about it before investing in larger scale.
Actually in that sense it is same like stock trading.

Best way is to start slowly in small scale , get experience and then expand it gradually. You can visit farms, exhibitions, talk with people while studying it. It is good if you can visit Chatuchak market in Bangkok some day specially in a Wednesday.

I want to reply you like this, mainly because, these orchids are very much vulnerable to decieses like roor rot, top rot , bacterial attacts and  various pest attacks. Not like in other crops, here it is very diffucult to locate and notice an attack before it damaging lot of plants.
For eg. root rot spread inside the entire plant first by destroying all the roots and then damaging psedobulbs  while the leaves  stay in very much healthy looking state.
At such stage you cannot do anythng but remove the plant. If this happen to the entire bed/lot you loose your money and hopes.

Hence first, you have to have some knowledge and experience about this cultivation . Continuous watching and learning is needed; until you are confident enough to invest in large scale.
There are lot of things books do not say.  

Damages due to rain is also a big problem. Too much dampness in rooting media will rot your plants, definitely.
If you can invest in toatally or partially controlled environment that is worthwhile. Specially if you can protect plants from rain a big problm is over and your income will increase.

Later today or tmr, I will put here some info/replies to your questions.

මිට අවුරුදු 20 කට පමණ පෙර මගෙන් උපදෙස් අරන් මේ වැඩේ පටන්ගත්ත අය අතුරින් එක්කෙනෙක් දේශීය වෙළෙඳ පොළ අල්ලාගෙන පස්සේ  එක්ස්පෝට් කරලා අද ලංකාවේ කෝටි පතියෙක් වෙච්ච කෙනෙක් ඉන්නවා. හැබැයි දැන්නම් එයා ට ඒ කාලේ මතක නැහැ.  No contacts now. But, I can guide you to the people who are selling seedlings ( including that guy) .

If you are in no hurry, willing to learn by mistakes ( there will be lot of mistakes + losses) you can become an expert on this. Even if you fail in first instances, that knowledge will pay you in future. - same like stock market.

-chinwi
Great stuff from chinwi. This is from 2012. That's why I say he is an all rounder. The content of the whole topic is very interesting..

107 BG SBLC LEASE AND SALES OF BANKING INSTRUMENT on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:26 pm

robfrancis7


Stock Trader
Dear Sir,

Are you having one or two difficulties from other financial instrument lender? I want you to take a chance with us you will never regret your partnership with our firm.We have direct and efficient providers.

I am the sole mandate of a genuine efficient provider for lease/sales BG/ SBLC and other financial instruments, at reasonable prices, Issuance by top AAA rated Bank in Europe.Presently, we focus on BG/SBLC/MTN for Lease and Sale transactions, However, our Lease BG/SBLC/MTN is 6+2% and Sale at 32+2%.

Should you find this interesting and acceptable? Kindly, contact us and we shall review and respond with DOA within 48hrs maximum.

Please request for full procedure details if interested.

For further inquiry contact:

Robert Francis,
Skype: robfrancis7
+447546769978
+447031956543

http://sblccom.bloombiz.com

108 Grow Vanila on Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:22 pm

prabha


Stock Trader
You can grow vanila . 1Kg of vanila (raw) sell price will go above 5000lkr which is pretty good. Research it in internet. I have seen some FB pages groups about this as well.

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum