Sri Lanka Equity Forum
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka Equity Forum would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
Sri Lanka Equity Forum

Discussion Forum for Stock Market Investors in Sri Lanka

සිංහල පරිවර්තනය
Submit Post
Submit Post

Latest topics

» CTCE and JINS
by Agape Today at 5:36 pm

» MARKET CRASH - GUARANTEED
by samaritan Today at 3:58 pm

» #PM Crisis#
by samaritan Today at 3:37 pm

» Asia Asset Finance announces Rs. 425 mn IPO
by Chillr_25 Today at 2:48 pm

» SRI LANKA @ 2020
by ruwan326 Today at 1:25 pm

» HDFC is the luckiest bank!
by sheildskye Today at 12:15 pm

» PLAYERS PICK OF THE DAY
by sheildskye Today at 12:08 pm

» CSE THIS WEEK
by ruwan326 Today at 11:03 am

» @RANFERDI, YAhapalan, In which list are you? Puravesi Lithro List, or Kiriella List or other list
by ruwan326 Today at 10:27 am

» Keep eye on ASIY
by ruwan326 Today at 10:23 am

» BFN ගනු දෙනුව වෙනවා ..
by Equity Suda Today at 9:48 am

» BFN - JINS - UBC - අද මෙම කොටස් හුවමාරු වුනු ප්‍රමාණ සහ ආකාරය බලන්න
by ruwan326 Today at 9:48 am

» ##FUN TOONS###
by ruwan326 Today at 9:07 am

» Confidence is every part of trading.
by ruwan326 Yesterday at 9:34 pm

» අනං## මනං ##
by ruwan326 Yesterday at 8:46 pm

» DIVIDEND ANNOUNCEMENTS- OCT/NOV
by ruwan326 Yesterday at 8:27 pm

» CROSSINGS TODAY
by ruwan326 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» FOREIGN NEWS
by ruwan326 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Daily Foreign Transactions
by ruwan326 Yesterday at 8:07 pm

» JINS - BFN DELAS 100% SURE මතකද . ජනශක්ති GENERAL සමාගම වික්ක හැටි - එක පාරටම
by sanjulanka Yesterday at 1:12 pm

» UAL artifically pushed up - beware!
by nosf766 Yesterday at 12:20 pm

» Financial Reports Q-3 2018
by ruwan326 Yesterday at 9:09 am

» රැවටෙන්න එපා ..විකුන්නන එපා ..ණයට ගන්න එපා .BFN - JINS එකතු කරන්නා හෙට දිනනනවා
by sanjulanka Yesterday at 8:09 am

» News Behind CTCE.N0000 Running?
by crs Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:08 pm

» NDB declared ‘Bank of the Year’ by The Banker, UK
by ruwan326 Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:41 am

» NDB wins Banking Sector National Business Excellence Award 2018
by MarketWch Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:33 pm

» Market will RISE expecting a MR Led new government
by samaritan Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:52 pm

» Summary of Key Announcements during the week
by ruwan326 Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:25 am

» No worries about BFN Deal .i
by ruwan326 Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:21 am

» CSE WEEKLY
by ruwan326 Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:13 am

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sri Lanka Equity Forum » Stock Market Talk » Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated?

Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated?

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:39 pm

salt

Vice President - Equity Analytics

Did MarketWatch purposefully manipulated?

To me it looks like he had some great idea of some stocks long before others realize the potential. It's a key success factor of an investor. He sticked to what he said even during difficult times.

He was not a master of the game as other like anybody in the forum. But, he developed a greater respect among the community. It’s difficult thing to say, but lots of people benefitted and made hell of money learning from him.

2 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:17 pm

mono

even if he didn't purposefully manipulate, I think he's responsible for stirring up a mob. And did nothing when things go out of hand. For example he said multiple times that PCH will cross 100. do you think any responsible person will say something like that, knowing full well that many people will follow you

3 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:23 pm

TelesHope

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
MW must have had above average knowledge on "Patterns of Herd Behaviour" and "The Great Fool Theory". He simply make use of it in PCH saga !!!

4 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:25 pm

econ

Global Moderator
Why so many individual bashing treads suddenly??

5 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:28 pm

mono

@econ wrote:Why so many individual bashing treads suddenly??

the PCH recovery rally crumbled today. they'll have difficulty getting past 32 now.

I expect more dead kitten soon..... Rolling Eyes

6 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:38 pm

invest-abc

Manager - Equity Analytics
I think considering the rapid growth potential of PCH and considering it's PEG it has a fair value of around 18 to 23 (Most optimistic senario). But at the moment without seen results on paper I can't see a price above Rs. 23 is justifiable...

Invest-abc

7 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:45 pm

Chinwi

Associate Director - Equity Analytics
@salt wrote:
Did MarketWatch purposefully manipulated?

But, he developed a greater respect among the community. It’s difficult thing to say, but lots of people benefited and made hell of money learning from him.

I agree with you in this. Unfortunately the respect he developed past one year or so was shattered due to his own conduct in this hardware business. I personally believe he should have selected a better stock than PCH after his success in BFL.

Developing a respect in this field is very difficult and hard to keep.

8 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:47 pm

mono

@invest-abc wrote:I think considering the rapid growth potential of PCH and considering it's PEG it has a fair value of around 18 to 23 (Most optimistic senario). But at the moment without seen results on paper I can't see a price above Rs. 23 is justifiable...

Invest-abc

PEG is misleading sometimes. Especially when you look at companies like PCH who had a decent year followed by a bad year followed by a decent year. The PEG goes down a lot for these companies. But that doesn't mean the same ratio can be sustained.

other than that i agree with your sentiment.

9 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:02 pm

$$$

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
We all benifited yes...but lets not forget the heard mentality at the CSE...word of mouth....BFL and PCH were some what benifited by Invest now as well...when you google lates new on these two (PCH and BFL) during investnow a million threads cme up and most of them giving the buy signal predictions PCH reach 100 and BFL breaking barriers of 800 etc...Imagine what a new investor or a person who is loking for good investment news would have done...heck even mature investors got carried away......in effect specially when you are considered an early innovator or opinion leader well you can sell Hard ware to a soft ware vendor...once you have commanded the respect and Guru like status you can do anything and get away...History shows people dying for such people....good example would be Praba how many people he brain washed in to commiting suicide whilst he lead a good life ....Hopefully BFL will Break the 800 mark and PCH will break the 100 mark and they go according to his predictions so that he can gain some of his lost reputattion if not well ....the new comers will be hounding ....

10 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:22 pm

invest-abc

Eventhough, I have never even made a single post at Investnow but I have been very closely following the forum since it's inseption. One thing that I observed about MW is that he is better than most of us in predicting business trends, maket behavior and investor psychology (which is a great skill). However, I always beleived he lacked financial sense (I think many will not agree with me). He used to comment that "X" share price will go beyond "Y" without having any clue what so ever with regard to the market caps of "X" & "Y".

Invest-abc

11 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:26 pm

kuk83

gys,

Nothing wrong with MW.Different persons have different ideas regarding stocks.He also the same.Apart of that he is nicely analyze stocks.He never recommend to buy or sell.As individual investors and also adult we should have own decision.He never give wrong information.Some times he may over confident about some stocks.That is up to him.

gd lck

12 Did MarketWatch purposefully manipulated? on Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:04 pm

swarnasana

Even if he wanted to manipulate, I do not know how strong was the readership of Investnow. Even in case of every Investnow reader followed him what a minority would it be in the whole market. One thing I can say is MW and several others gave me good directions and I gained heavily without going through a single company material.

Even here many expect others to recommend good stocks and if those are not there why should someone read something which does not give him/her any benefit?

13 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:21 pm

xmart

Market Watch and Cse.see are reputed successful investors. did you all think chairman of BFL bought it around 200 due to his posts, or huge crossings @287 occurred due to him. what a pity? even though i did not agree some extend, he is a very good fellow investor. he had a different strategy.

about PCH. oh poor me... for me, ECL is better choice than PCH. PCH talking to enter international market, ECL already in international market. but did you all notice some crossings occurred at about 29 for PCH. i need tangible results. but MW 6 months before us.

good luck

14 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:37 pm

smalta

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
@xmart wrote:Market Watch and Cse.see are reputed successful investors. did you all think chairman of BFL bought it around 200 due to his posts, or huge crossings @287 occurred due to him. what a pity? even though i did not agree some extend, he is a very good fellow investor. he had a different strategy.

hats off
i my self several times ask from those ppl who say MW is responsible for appreciation of BFL
and no one answered me ragarding that

what is asked was " why did directors who sold at 15/= buy that share ate 200/= again "

and i like to point out that MW never ever recommend a stock what he only did was publishing his views and analyisi with some barriers

all the time he ended with his posts saying "DO YOUR OWN ANALYSIS "

and one another question to ask from ppl who say he was a manipulator

please give me one example or one post such that he was asking to other people to buy

there are many posts that forum mambers are directly asking from MW about some stocks buy or sell what he only said was if he did analysis about that stock prior he post it or he simply said do your analysis before buy and wish gud luck

even for PCH the people who start to market MWs statements are krishan and sumithre and now people who some times jump in to BFL cuz only reading MWs analysis and gain a decent profit is trying to eat him up

finally he only said buy while doing your only analysis

and to my knowledge
does word manipulator use to refer a person who spread rumors about only stocks going up or ???
as i knw it is same to the other way around

15 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:59 pm

mono

The thing is MW aggressively pushes every stock he picks. especially the one's he fancies. I've seen him do this to both BALA & JINS. But neither of those stocks moved, and people forgot about it.

People can say MW didn't ask people to buy stocks but the way he decorated his posts ended up having a very similar psychological effect. especially for people who were new to the forum and the market. And he also changed his position on investing. most of last year he was talking about going after fundamentally strong stocks, this year he changed to a 'identifying future winners' stance(a.k.a speculate).

As for manipulation, i DON"T think he manipulated stocks. But he was being grossly irresponsible. He knew the effect he had on people and decided to abuse it. or at the very least did nothing to stop the racket that was going on. I remember whenever people like sumithre published some hogwash, MW would add a reply to that post further supporting PCH. and this definitely had an effect. two of my brokers told me explicitly that they are getting calls from so many clients asking them to buy PCH. where do you think these people got the idea to suddenly buy PCH.

MW definitely did a good job with BFL, but his behavior regarding PCH was simply unacceptable.

16 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:34 pm

PriyanDV

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
@xmart wrote:Market Watch and Cse.see are reputed successful investors. did you all think chairman of BFL bought it around 200 due to his posts, or huge crossings @287 occurred due to him. what a pity? even though i did not agree some extend, he is a very good fellow investor. he had a different strategy.

about PCH. oh poor me... for me, ECL is better choice than PCH. PCH talking to enter international market, ECL already in international market. but did you all notice some crossings occurred at about 29 for PCH. i need tangible results. but MW 6 months before us.

good luck

hats off man...........!

17 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:52 am

Slstock

Director - Equity Analytics
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I posted this in this forum under another topic. But it is directly relavant here.

I am at the risk of getting negative reps as I am not going to take any side. But what I feel have to be said.

When someone analyses a share we can see whether there is any truth in what that person is saying with some valid base . If we do not see it we can ignore it. We do not have control of what other say.

As we are wise investors , we should do our own study before we buy a stock. Others can promote it , harp on it but they cannot force us. Before we buy we should know the reason we buy the share. If someone promotes so be it. But we take the final decision. It our money. I have made losses , I have made profits. When I made losses it was my fault as I did not study enough what I bought.

I do not know whether the names mentioned had ulterior motives. Maybe they did maybe did not but we are not sure are we. But the question is if we know and feel the share being promoted is not worth it , we don;t have to commit to it. We can even comments on the promoters post saying that we do not agree due to the reasons as mentioned. These promotions are happening in other facets of out life too. So it is not any different in the share market. Ultimately it is My Money, My Shares , My Profit my Loss.

18 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:31 am

tubal

@slstock wrote:I am at the risk of getting negative reps as I am not going to take any side. But what I feel have to be said.

I've been happily dishing out both positive and negative reps. But I will refrain from handing you any till it becomes more clear which side of the fence you are sitting on :-)

19 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:52 am

Slstock

@tubal wrote:
@slstock wrote:I am at the risk of getting negative reps as I am not going to take any side. But what I feel have to be said.

I've been happily dishing out both positive and negative reps. But I will refrain from handing you any till it becomes more clear which side of the fence you are sitting on :-)

Tubal, giving reps depending on whether one is on your side or the other is not the issue. It is more important to understand whether there is any truth in what that person is saying and it has some valid base. Maybe the person having opposite views can show a side you( me) have not seen.

At investnow.lk I saw valid points in the arguments in both parties. What I am saying is a smart Investor should acknowledge and analyze both sides and make the decision on their own. Once made it that person decision not others. I hope you agree.

BTW, just curios have you been a investor for a long time at CSE?

20 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:58 am

MarketWatch

Stock Trader
Very Happy

21 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:03 am

tubal

@slstock wrote:BTW, just curios have you been a investor for a long time at CSE?

Yep, but not continuously. Got in once, got burned. Stayed away for a couple of years. Got in again and got burnt again and stayed away again. Now I am back in and this time, I haven't made any of the mistakes that I made the first couple of times.

What's really funny (or sad) is that at investnow and over here, there are loads of people encouraging others to make those same mistake. And guess what? all those mistakes are very common mistakes that retail investors make and they are thoroughly documented.

22 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:05 am

econ

Global Moderator

good luck

yes I also witnessed some massive PCH crossings on the price of late 20s . so that means some thing is going on.. powerfull investors usually have insider info before the retailers..

Last edited by econ on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total

23 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:07 am

Slstock

@tubal wrote:
@slstock wrote:BTW, just curios have you been a investor for a long time at CSE?

Yep, but not continuously. Got in once, got burned. Stayed away for a couple of years. Got in again and got burnt again and stayed away again. Now I am back in and this time, I haven't made any of the mistakes that I made the first couple of times.

What's really funny (or sad) is that at investnow and over here, there are loads of people encouraging others to make those same mistake. And guess what? all those mistakes are very common mistakes that retail investors make and they are thoroughly documented.

Yep Agree with you there. We should not repeat our mistakes. Hope this time you have much better luck with your gained knowledge. Here is to make up for all you lost. Good luck

24 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:50 am

tubal

@slstock wrote:
Yep Agree with you there. We should not repeat our mistakes. Hope this time you have much better luck with your gained knowledge. Here is to make up for all you lost. Good luck

Really appreciate your good wishes. Thanks a lot and wish you all the best too.

25 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:23 pm

TARGET

This is a good old topic to read for new comers. Please go through all posts because history can be repeated and if you know what's happening you may survive.

26 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:31 pm

nimantha80

Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
marketwatch was sinha laxana.ammo pc house chickens up karapu hati

27 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:54 pm

TARGET

The bad thing is he exited pch at right time but followers lost in nowhere because he didn't give a clue on that.
(I am sure he didn't do it purposely but he should have acted responsibly knowing about his followers )

28 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:35 pm

Chinwi

He was very capable in finding BFL at very low prices and predicted very clearly about its future.

He used the huge fame he got from chicken to market PCH.

I think he used gut feelings and other illusion to go after PCH, never expected that much of horrible failure of the share.

He was a nice reader of reports to predict the future . The problem was he knew chicken business but not the computer hardware business.

If you invest billions in hardware you have to get rid of them within max 6 months. If not billions to dustbin, minus to assets. Not only MW but Rishan too failed in his own business as he had no foresight and professionalism to match the magnitude of the business he created in short time.

I know Mr. Naleem of Barclays, he never lost his simple life and limits.

29 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:19 am

Yahapalanaya

This thread is good education for current...... Shocked Shocked Shocked

30 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:55 am

TARGET

Now his 2 main shares are tafl and gran.  As Chinwi said he has excellent knowledge on poultry. He give nice and educational presentations on these shares and one can learn lot from reading those.  But he is little cautious now and not straight like MW. But who know MW , can easily identify him.

31 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:22 am

TARGET

@Yahapalanaya wrote:This thread is good education for current...... Shocked Shocked Shocked
Yahapalanaya, I feel some kind of a similar situation is slowly developing here around one member. That's why I pull this up. History has some amazing cyclic nature. So better be careful and do your own analysis rather than blindly follow someone.

32 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:22 am

Mubin Mustafa

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
i already smell out this truth and when i m saying not to buy this...lot of members started to fight with me..

anyhow thanks target..

33 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:04 am

Chinwi

However MW or Mr. Sinha Lakxana we knew was different than this new appearance of somebody.

MW was much much better in initial stages and had acceptable theories , knowledge and good qualities with him.

His fame declined badly when he continued promoting PCH when most of us smell a rat in PCH saga . It was like keep pressing self destruction button for him.

--
But who knows anything is possible .

Thanks Target.

34 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:16 am

nimantha80

@Chinwi wrote: However MW or Mr. Sinha Lakxana we knew was different than this new appearance of somebody.

MW was much much better in initial stages and had acceptable theories , knowledge and good qualities with him.

His fame declined badly when he continued promoting PCH when most of us smell a rat in PCH saga . It was like keep pressing self destruction button for him.

--
But who knows anything is possible .

Thanks Target.

35 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:01 pm

EquityChamp

@TARGET wrote:Now his 2 main shares are tafl and gran.  As Chinwi said he has excellent knowledge on poultry. He give nice and educational presentations on these shares and one can learn lot from reading those.  But he is little cautious now and not straight like MW. But who know MW , can easily identify him.

Are you referring to somebody in the forum now or MW?

36 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:39 pm

TARGET

@EquityChamp wrote:
@TARGET wrote:Now his 2 main shares are tafl and gran.  As Chinwi said he has excellent knowledge on poultry. He give nice and educational presentations on these shares and one can learn lot from reading those.  But he is little cautious now and not straight like MW. But who know MW , can easily identify him.

Are you referring to somebody in the forum now or MW?
In this forum and also in another forum now.  Excellent presenter. We can learn lot and actually I like him.

37 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:01 pm

mahasona

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic
He is in all 3 forums,but active only in one forum at the moment.
I like to read his posts as it has good educational stuffs,although he is a SMART PROMOTOR
Presence of Chinwi negate many promotions here,hats off to you

38 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:29 pm

wisdom78

@mahasona wrote:He is in all 3 forums,but active only in one forum at the moment.
I like to read his posts as it has good educational stuffs,although he is a SMART PROMOTOR
Presence of Chinwi negate many promotions here,hats off to you
pem banda sith banda neth kalma

ran sihina seya...

Indu dunna se nasena rawatilla

luhu bandina ma ya...

I also see him sometime

39 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:12 pm

TARGET

Yes mahasona. Chinwi is great asset for the forum. But when karuna badly attack him with different user names, no one here come to depend him. That's why I came and counter attack him with a ten timer greater, brutal and unethical way. I did it for greater good,  but sorry if I made all members uncomfortable .

40 Re: Did MarketWatch purposely manipulated? on Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:21 pm

stockback

Chinwi, EC, VP, EPS are very good. giving good knowledge.

for Karuna no comments.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum