Sri Lanka Equity Forum
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka Equity Forum would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.


Thank You
Sri Lanka Equity Forum

Discussion Forum for Stock Market Investors in Sri Lanka

සිංහල පරිවර්තනය
Submit Post
Submit Post

Latest topics

» Dr. Ali Gulamhusein resigns from People’s Leasing board, amid litigation/floundering listed companies
by ruwan326 Today at 7:24 am

» Sri Lanka to revoke rogue bikini ban
by ruwan326 Today at 6:58 am

» ORIENT FINANCE PLC - RATING REVIEW
by ruwan326 Yesterday at 8:43 pm

» CSE WEEKLY
by ruwan326 Yesterday at 8:38 pm

» Daily Foreign Transactions
by ruwan326 Yesterday at 8:25 pm

» MARKET CRASH - GUARANTEED
by samaritan Yesterday at 7:41 pm

» Daily Stock Market Update
by Insights Equity Yesterday at 5:56 pm

» Banking sector profits seen losing steam ahead of 3Q earnings season
by Yahapalanaya Yesterday at 5:21 pm

» Dreams of big profits as marijuana becomes legal in Canada
by Yahapalanaya Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» EPF needs governance overhaul to invest in Sri Lanka stock market
by janith123 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» $ 1 b from China Development Bank in Sri Lanka today
by ruwan326 Yesterday at 7:11 am

» MD behave like ANIMAL
by janith123 Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:48 pm

» Sri Lanka may be one of few countries who takes ridiculous tax
by soileconomy Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:50 am

» ALHP WILL MOVE UP SOON
by ruwan326 Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:27 am

» Stock Broker Companies for sale
by janith123 Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:26 pm

» Fresh push to woo UK investors to SL
by ruwan326 Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:03 pm

» Central Bank will intervene if rupee moves on speculation – official
by Yahapalanaya Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:18 pm

» FUTURE WINNING STOCKS AT BOTTOM LEVEL
by Yahapalanaya Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:15 pm

» US Share Market Crash Seems to Good for Sri Lankan/Asian Share Market and Currencies
by Yahapalanaya Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:26 pm

» Nimal returns to stock market
by sapumal Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:53 pm

» Stock price decline leaves John Keells (JKH) vulnerable to a takeover by Sri Lanka’s oligarchs
by ruwan326 Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:08 am

» අනං## මනං ##
by ruwan326 Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:45 pm

» Weekly Stock Market Roundup
by Insights Equity Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:55 pm

» Dealing by directors
by ruwan326 Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:08 pm

» Summary of Key Announcements during the week
by ruwan326 Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:06 pm

» Arjun Alosius and Mano Thittawella
by janith123 Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:29 pm

» Global stock markets plunging, Sri Lanka’s CSE takes no notice - 11 October 2018
by EquityChamp Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:24 pm

» Stock Market Cartoons
by ruwan326 Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:42 pm

» HOW TO STABILIZE RUPEE
by EquityChamp Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:26 pm

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market - Blood Bath on First Day of Ranil's fourth Term lead UNP Government - over 500,000 Investors are awaiting Rs.500,000 per investor Margin Trading promise given in UNP Manifesto amounting to over Rs.250 Billion
by ranferdi Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:44 am

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sri Lanka Equity Forum » Stock Market Entertainment » Member Introductions

Member Introductions

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Member Introductions on Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:47 am

RockStock


Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
As we discussed about the value of having knowledge and experience when taking investment decisions, I thought of starting a thread to get an Idea about the level of experience of our forum members. I'm sure many of them have many year and some might have even decades of experience in capital markets.

Starting from me, I entered around 2005 when I was a University Student and my field is not related to Finance or Commerce. My first entry was Diolog Telekom IPO which I had a decent return about 40% within few weeks.I was less active around 2007/2008 because of my studies and of cause that was a long bear period, and then re entered around late 2008 and early 2009.

I used to read some local and international publications,articles etc. to gain more knowledge about capital market investments, but for me nothing could replace the experience that I learnt from my mistakes,though they cost at times.

Then comes the online forums, I used to follow two of them and now this forum.I must say that reading other members experience,views,analysis really took me to the next level of insight in this game.

I also should say that brokers advice never worked for me.

How about you friends?

2 Re: Member Introductions on Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:10 pm

3mr


Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
I too made my debut with DIALOG IPO. I made some profit off that and I still hold some IPO shares. Though I applied for a big amount of IPO shares, I was a very small investor when trading in the market. When the market was dull after this , I completely moved away from the market and re-entered in October 2009 and opened an online trading account. This time my investment was just around 200K and slowly I invested more and now my portfolio is some what more. I continued to invest in the market my savings. Until recently I mostly invested in DIAL because of lack of knowledge about other stocks. But these forums gave me a lot of knowledge and online trading gave me a good way of analyzing the stocks and trends and this gave me a good opportunity to diversify my portfolio. I managed to earn some decent amount from BFL and PCH and still believe that BFL has a very good potential. I missed good opprtunties as I started investing some big money only recently.

I have learnt many lessons, the best ones being - never lose money and patience is the key.......
You don't lose any thing until you sell so never panic and sell.
never make it a gamble

Happy trading.

3 Re: Member Introductions on Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:21 pm

Akalanka

avatar
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
Rock .. .

thanks for posting this .. admires...
i just join in to the cse as same as ur very beginning and hope to learn more. so sharing experties experience will be directly create benefits upon us..

so thanks again for the admins and to the contributors Very Happy

4 Re: Member Introductions on Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:59 pm

Rocky

avatar
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Those who are really MEGA investors do not have the time to be on forums. They are always in Board rooms, dealing with the press and running away from the IR. (Apart from other activities that need not be mentioned here).

So people like you and myself (half baked investors with some knowledge, little understanding and lots of experience) try to make ends meet on the CSE.

Hope this sums it up (at least for myself)

5 Re: Member Introductions on Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:01 pm

Rocky

avatar
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
PS:

You may wonder why I am a Moderator on this forum!

Well just helping to keep this forum clean and tidy, that's all.

6 Re: Member Introductions on Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:58 pm

mark

avatar
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
@RockStock wrote:As we discussed about the value of having knowledge and experience when taking investment decisions, I thought of starting a thread to get an Idea about the level of experience of our forum members. I'm sure many of them have many year and some might have even decades of experience in capital markets.

Starting from me, I entered around 2005 when I was a University Student and my field is not related to Finance or Commerce. My first entry was Diolog Telekom IPO which I had a decent return about 40% within few weeks.I was less active around 2007/2008 because of my studies and of cause that was a long bear period, and then re entered around late 2008 and early 2009.

I used to read some local and international publications,articles etc. to gain more knowledge about capital market investments, but for me nothing could replace the experience that I learnt from my mistakes,though they cost at times.

Then comes the online forums, I used to follow two of them and now this forum.I must say that reading other members experience,views,analysis really took me to the next level of insight in this game.

I also should say that brokers advice never worked for me.

How about you friends?

i should say my brokers advices always worked for me..... Smile Smile Smile
i entered to CSE,just after my AL's.........i gained much knowledge from forums(investnow.lk).at that time i was only a reader..........but now i'm a poster in this marvelous equity forum..........

*i had a dream to enter CSE,when i doing my OL's.......finally i'm in my dream........
but i know that i still got a long way to go............. thanks

7 Re: Member Introductions on Sat May 28, 2011 12:25 am

Chabbi

avatar
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
@mark wrote:
*i had a dream to enter CSE,when i doing my OL's.......finally i'm in my dream........
but i know that i still got a long way to go............. thanks

I'm too dreaming when im @ O/L i also wanna become investor.. but i ddnt & when I'm doing my degree i got my finance lec from cmb Uni I feel he is best Finance lect with massive knwledge abt cse Smile only investment for life period Smile

because his experience made me here Smile Thnx for Genius Gentlemen Very Happy

he have bought DOCK @ IPO he told it was arnd 11 or 12 few years back & he bought only 100 shares Smile still he holds the certificate Smile investment was only 1200 or 1100 but it worths more than 25000 + now & last few years he have earned massive dividend as well since DOCK is high dividend Paying company Smile

this was learning point & i was open account 4 years back but i was made only 2 investment (Dial & NHL). i ddnt involve here Sad still i cn remember that time & later on JKH was 50 & REEF was arnd 1.00 & TAFL was arnd 8 somthng Sad

but now im reactive Smile but i almost miss the train ... but still trying to learn abt Mkt Smile unfortunately finance was bit ODD subject for me Very Happy

Learning makes makes perfect PERSON Smile

Will See how this gonna B Smile

8 Re: Member Introductions on Sat May 28, 2011 8:00 am

dr kiru005

avatar
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
@Chabbi wrote:
@mark wrote:
*i had a dream to enter CSE,when i doing my OL's.......finally i'm in my dream........
but i know that i still got a long way to go............. thanks

I'm too dreaming when im @ O/L i also wanna become investor.. but i ddnt & when I'm doing my degree i got my finance lec from cmb Uni I feel he is best Finance lect with massive knwledge abt cse Smile only investment for life period Smile

because his experience made me here Smile Thnx for Genius Gentlemen Very Happy

he have bought DOCK @ IPO he told it was arnd 11 or 12 few years back & he bought only 100 shares Smile still he holds the certificate Smile investment was only 1200 or 1100 but it worths more than 25000 + now & last few years he have earned massive dividend as well since DOCK is high dividend Paying company Smile

this was learning point & i was open account 4 years back but i was made only 2 investment (Dial & NHL). i ddnt involve here Sad still i cn remember that time & later on JKH was 50 & REEF was arnd 1.00 & TAFL was arnd 8 somthng Sad

but now im reactive Smile but i almost miss the train ... but still trying to learn abt Mkt Smile unfortunately finance was bit ODD subject for me Very Happy

Learning makes makes perfect PERSON Smile

Will See how this gonna B Smile

don't worry bro..there is still time

i started my ac in 2005 would you believe with a 5,000 Embarassed and i know and remember the prices of some of these shares. i was so love with reef. in 2005 i was suggesting lot to buy reef i myself bought a fair amount. well i didn't loose but it didn't pay much. this was when i was in the uni... then in 2009 i was after reef which was around 2-3 rs. i applied a loan of 1 million just for the reef. they said they will approve in 3 days.. or how sad the loan took 2 months to get sanctioned. well i took that loan at last at that time it was going around 5. i remember i put the order just 10 cents more and to the whole money. i will explain later why i choose reef... then from the next day it went 10% every day with the cse. ban

i again tried at a price of 8.90 or some thing and it was 10%increase with lot of subscription then i felt it was too risky.

then in 2010 i went for a bigger loan targeting in glass and sierra cables well bought for a good price glass for like 2 or some thing and sierra cables. at that time i don't read reports which i found later was so use full. i sold those shares with a 20% like profit i usually don't hold for long then.

but after all this i learned a lot of lessons lots of loss,.. and went through the net searching for every word in cse still in the primary knowledge.

found some good shares which i believe will go sky rocketing after a good study. which i rarely do Very Happy holding on to it for long term and day trading to week trading on the rest of the buying power.

i will give a small hint.. if you are a person who can mange a loss.. take a risk go for a share which has negative or no net asset value... study in and out look for all the records past and if the company is just picking up. that means you are buying a share which can give a dividend as much as the share value you purchase today. in a year or so.

cos when you start a business with loan your net asset value will be like negative but it doesn't mean you won't be able to pay the interest and get a huge profit?



and for last but not least.. don't study all the shares its like being a doctor accountant engineer and a teacher at the same time... just select some like 5 to 20 share which you have love with and study in and out... don't panic if some other share goes up or down... cos you know far better about those shares than rest of all.

hope i didn't bored you. Sleep

9 Re: Member Introductions on Sat May 28, 2011 7:48 pm

Akalanka

avatar
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics

hope i didn't bored you. Sleep [/quote]

nope , you didnt. its interesting . Very Happy thanks for sharing

10 Re: Member Introductions on Sun May 29, 2011 11:48 pm

Intrinsic


Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
My investments initially started with mutual funds. I had some USD sitting in my NRFC a/c for sometime & it didn't grow because of the low bank interest rate (04% p.a. for $ a/c). I was keeping USD in my savings a/c due to the fact that USD was appreciating at a rate against SLR, and also I needed some USD for my overseas traveling from time to time.

One day I picked up some promotional material on BOC mutual fund schemes. After going through them, without much hesitation, I exchanged USD 10,000 & bought shares in BOC funds. (That time dollar was almost stagnant) During 2010 that investment gave me 223% return.

I am from Engineering background & had no any good knowledge in accounts / finance. But when I was doing my MBA last year I gathered fairly good idea in Finance Issues. In the same time I attended a familiarization program on CSE. I opened my CDS in last January. In January & February I was getting a good return. Since March my portfolio had been almost red everyday until very recent. Last week I disposed few shares I was holding since last January, at a thin margin. I am holding a portfolio consisting of 18 strong stocks.

So far I didn't loose anything ! Touch wood !!



11 Re: Member Introductions on Mon May 30, 2011 9:23 am

Intrinsic


Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
My investments initially started with mutual funds. I had some USD sitting in my NRFC a/c for sometime & it didn't grow because of the low bank interest rate (04% p.a. for $ a/c). I was keeping USD in my savings a/c due to the fact that USD was appreciating at a rate against SLR, and also I needed some USD for my overseas traveling from time to time.

One day I picked up some promotional material on BOC mutual fund schemes. After going through them, without much hesitation, I exchanged USD 10,000 & bought shares in BOC funds. (That time dollar was almost stagnant) During 2010 that investment gave me 223% return.

I am from Engineering background & had no any good knowledge in accounts / finance. But when I was doing my MBA last year I gathered fairly good idea in Finance Issues. In the same time I attended a familiarization program on CSE. I opened my CDS account in last January. In last January & February I was getting a good return. Since March my portfolio had been almost red everyday until very recent. Last week I disposed few shares I was holding since last January, at a thin margin. I am holding a portfolio consisting of 18 strong stocks.

So far I didn't loose anything ! Touch wood !!

To conclude this post, I am humble enough to say that I am still an infant in this trader/investor world, & possess an inspiration to travel a long journey with the help of this forum & its valuable personalities.




Last edited by Intrinsic on Mon May 30, 2011 9:28 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : addition)

12 Re: Member Introductions on Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:15 pm

Zeus

avatar
Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic
I'm just about to open an account and invest in Stock Market. I will definitely need help from you guys. Hell, I'm graduated in Computer Science so my Finance Knowledge is Nil. I'm so dumb when it comes to Commerce subjects, so please bear the dumbness. Very Happy

Cheers!

http://ruchirac.blogspot.com/

13 Re: Member Introductions on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:54 am

tkc

avatar
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
@Zeus wrote:I'm just about to open an account and invest in Stock Market. I will definitely need help from you guys. Hell, I'm graduated in Computer Science so my Finance Knowledge is Nil. I'm so dumb when it comes to Commerce subjects, so please bear the dumbness. Very Happy

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum and cse my friend!! Happy trading!! Smile

14 Thanks a lot tkc! on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:28 am

Zeus

avatar
Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic
@tkc wrote:
@Zeus wrote:I'm just about to open an account and invest in Stock Market. I will definitely need help from you guys. Hell, I'm graduated in Computer Science so my Finance Knowledge is Nil. I'm so dumb when it comes to Commerce subjects, so please bear the dumbness. Very Happy

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum and cse my friend!! Happy trading!! Smile

Thank you very much for the warm welcome my friend. Smile

http://ruchirac.blogspot.com/

15 Re: Member Introductions on Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:42 pm

StockWatching


Stock Trader
I joined to CSE at 2009. My initial investment was only about 10,000. Gradually I have invested some monies. Initially I made some profits but after this downturn it become loosing situation. Crying or Very sad But you know, this gave me a real experience and learnings. Someone can say it was costly. But my idea, if I can bear that then no matter. Anyway let's see. And hope to invest on coming People's leasing IPO.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum