Sri Lanka Equity Forum
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka Equity Forum would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.


Thank You
Sri Lanka Equity Forum

Discussion Forum for Stock Market Investors in Sri Lanka

සිංහල පරිවර්තනය
Submit Post
Submit Post

Latest topics

» News Behind CTCE.N0000 Running?
by crs Today at 6:08 pm

» රැවටෙන්න එපා ..විකුන්නන එපා ..ණයට ගන්න එපා .BFN - JINS එකතු කරන්නා හෙට දිනනනවා
by prabath Today at 4:43 pm

» JINS - BFN DELAS 100% SURE මතකද . ජනශක්ති GENERAL සමාගම වික්ක හැටි - එක පාරටම
by kalu351 Today at 2:45 pm

» BFN ගනු දෙනුව වෙනවා ..
by kalu351 Today at 2:34 pm

» SRI LANKA @ 2020
by ruwan326 Today at 9:36 am

» Financial Reports Q-3 2018
by ruwan326 Today at 9:26 am

» ##FUN TOONS###
by ruwan326 Today at 9:14 am

» CROSSINGS TODAY
by ruwan326 Today at 9:08 am

» Daily Foreign Transactions
by ruwan326 Today at 9:02 am

» NDB declared ‘Bank of the Year’ by The Banker, UK
by ruwan326 Today at 8:41 am

» NDB wins Banking Sector National Business Excellence Award 2018
by MarketWch Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Market will RISE expecting a MR Led new government
by samaritan Yesterday at 1:52 pm

» CSE THIS WEEK
by ruwan326 Yesterday at 11:37 am

» Summary of Key Announcements during the week
by ruwan326 Yesterday at 11:25 am

» No worries about BFN Deal .i
by ruwan326 Yesterday at 11:21 am

» CSE WEEKLY
by ruwan326 Yesterday at 11:13 am

» FOREIGN NEWS
by ruwan326 Yesterday at 11:10 am

» Dealing by directors
by ruwan326 Yesterday at 10:55 am

» ALHP WILL MOVE UP from next MONDAY
by aklt Yesterday at 10:47 am

» ඔරියන්ට් ෆ්යිනැන්ස් -විකිනීම ස්තිරයි - අද ද අයිලන්ඩ් පුවත් පත බලන්න 2020 වෙනකම් පුලුවන් නම් තියා ගන්න - අදහා ගන්න බැරි ආදායමක් ලබන්න
by ruwan326 Yesterday at 10:33 am

» @RANFERDI, YAhapalan, In which list are you? Puravesi Lithro List, or Kiriella List or other list
by ranferdi Yesterday at 9:06 am

» #PM Crisis#
by ranferdi Yesterday at 9:05 am

» Stocks don’t go up and stay up because of stories, tips, or people’s opinions
by ruwan326 Yesterday at 9:00 am

» FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS IMPAIRMENT COST
by Yahapalanaya Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:10 pm

» MONTH PEACE & HAPPINESS
by Ryan Hudson Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:40 pm

» JINS NO DEAL YET - BFN IS ON AND POSITIVE -CHECK THE COMPNAY ANNOUNCEMENT CAREFULLY - NO NOTHING ABOUT BFN
by kalu351 Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:03 pm

» Will ALHP be eliminated from the CSE?
by wisdom79 Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:41 pm

» Is TKYO.N0000 a Sleeping Giant
by aklt Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:52 pm

» FINALY – BFN – TAKE OVER NEWS IS OUT OFFICIALY -DONT SELL BELOW 20 TRY TO BUY AT CURRENT 15-17 LEVELS
by Equity Suda Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:57 pm

» PLAYERS PICK OF THE DAY
by ruwan326 Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:39 am

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sri Lanka Equity Forum » Stock Market Talk » Budget impact

Budget impact

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Budget impact on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:25 am

Yahapalanaya

avatar
Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics
Budget 2017-impact on sectors
November 25, 2016, 9:19 pm 


All sectors

•Requests for a license, permit or permission from government agency is deemed to have been granted, if no reply is received within 10 working days –Positive

•Introduce laws which give Public Limited Companies freehold right of land–Positive

•75% waiver on PAL when importing High Tec, automated machinery &equipment–Positive

•Mandatory for all companies with more than 500 employees to establish Child Care Centers. -Negative

•Aim to reduce the interest cost by at least LKR 90Bn. Domestic interest rates to decrease by at least 1.5%.-Positive

•Rent out government sector assets that are not being utilized fully to the general public and private companies -Positive

 

Banking and finance sector

•Increase the minimum capital of Licensed Commercial Banks, Licensed Specialized Banks & Primary Dealers. Encourage voluntary consolidation of financial institutions –Positive

•Allocating LKR 7.5 Bnfor capital infusion and amalgamate the HDFC Bank and State Mortgage and Investment Bank to create Housing Bank -Neutral

•Amalgamate Cooperative Rural Banks and DivinegumaBank to create micro lending focused bank –Negative

•Review the restriction single shareholder limit for banks &the restricted of 9 years on the tenure for the Boards of Directors. –Positive

•Allocating LKR 3Bn to settle the claims of depositors of Golden Key. –Positive

•Allocating the capital of LKR 10Mn and issuing a LKR 10Bn Treasury bond to establish the Financial Asset Management Agency. –Positive

Banking and Finance Sector

•Continue the senior citizens deposit scheme during 2017 -Negative

•Increase the registration fee for pawning per annum–Negative

•Allocate LKR 500 million as seed capital for the SMEs, directing banks to allocate minimum 10% of their loan portfolio to the –Neutral

•Defining minimum proportions for banks' lending portfolio to be directed for Agriculture, SME, Exports, Tourism, Youth, Women and business development.–Negative

•Imposing 2% fee on cash transactions above LKR 5Mn –Positive

•Expanding the applicability of the Debt Recovery Provisions Act to all LSBs & Licensed Finance Companies. –Positive

•Loan to Value ratio (LTV) to be limited for vehicle categories –Negative

•Establish a Consumer Financial Protection Authority to enhance integrity of system.–Negative

•Discontinue the provision of loans to members by the EPF -Positive

•Encourage Banks to introduce a credit scheme for households who are willing to transfer to solar energy –Positive

•Any company is permitted to borrow internationally on the strength of their Balance Sheet, Proposed to remove the restrictions imposed by the Non-Bank Financial Institutions (NBFI) –Positive

•New statute to cover pyramid schemes with strong enforcement –Positive

•Financial transactions levy at the rate of LKR 5 per LKR 10,000 on the total cash transactions and will be treated as expenditure for income tax purpose -Negative

•Government to bear 50% of the interest cost of financing 1,000 electric cars to replace three wheelers in Colombo district. Providing an interest subsidy of 75% to upgrade the school vans to 32 seaterbuses. –Positive

•Government to provide 50% interest subsidy for loans for houses with an existing floor area of less than 750 square feet–Positive

•The National Savings Bank and new Housing Bank will provide a loan facility for potential home owners at an all-inclusive rate of 7% –Positive

•Introducing a Payment Guarantee Security Act securing dues of firms–Positive

 

Construction, engineering & building material sector

•Encourage the private sector companies to engage in mechanical sea sand washing in designated areas–Positive

•Fiberglass reinforcement, which is a high quality building material, will commence production in Sri Lanka–Positive

•Introduce a Payment Guarantee Security Act–Positive

•Property of Sri Lanka Ports Authority (SLPA) in prime locations which will be utilized for commercial purposes.–Positive

•Private sector will be invited to put up 350,000 housing in the next 3 years. Land and the amenities will be provided free of cost by the government–Positive

•Double tracking the railway of the Polgahawela–Kurunegalasection, Aluthgama–Galle section. Extending the railway line from Kankesanthuraito ponnalaijunction and KelaniValley railway line up to Ratnapura–Positive

•Expedite the construction of 50,000 houses in the North and the East and allocate LKR 5,000 million. –Positive

•Allocating Rs. 4,500 million to develop 1,000 km of road length in rural areas and Rs. 3,000 million, for restoration, rehabilitation and desiltingof 1,500 small tanks –Positive

•Plan to upgrade each city with modern facilities and to construct a new building for the National Library in Colombo –Positive

•Special incentive package with specific tax concessions for Landmark Investments of over USD 100Mn and investments over USD 500Mn –Positive

•Remove the Cessof 25% which is applicable on pre-fabricated structures–Positive

•Extending the KatunayakeExpressway up to Puttlam, the Southern Expressway from Godagamato and the Outer Circular Road from Kadawathato Kerewelapitiya. –Positive

•Commence work on the elevated highways connecting the new KelaniBridge to Athurugiriyaand the KelaniBridge to the Port area -Positive

•Training for 10,000 youth and at the end of the training period, will be recruited to the relevant industry –Positive

•Sri Lanka Telecom will invest around Rs. 10Bn in iconic buildings -these buildings will be a hub for investments and economic activities –Positive

•25,000 houses will be constructed for the plantation sector. Land and the amenities will be provided free of cost by the government –Positive

•Remove freehold right restrictions for foreigners. Allow foreigners who will be purchasing condominiums, to raise 40% of the cost from a domestic bank –Positive

•Government to provide 50% interest subsidy for loans for houses with an existing floor area of less than 750 square feet–Positive

•The National Savings Bank and new Housing Bank will provide a loan facility for potential home owners at an all-inclusive rate of 7% –Positive

 

Plantations sector

•Import Export control fee of 1% on CIF price of Tea to be abolished –Positive

•Maximum acreage that can be held by any stand-alone RPC company, without being allowed to consolidate, restricted to 5,000 acres. –Negative

•Allocate LKR 75 million to develop an automated Commodity Exchange. –Positive

•Investments into the rubber sector with LKR 900 million being allocated for replanting –Positive

•Offer 7 perches land with clear title deed to each family who are living in the Line rooms –Neutral

•Tax rate of 14% will be applicable for the profits and income of Agriculture products -Negative

•Encourage establishing 4 Free Trade Zones targeting in Kalutara(Bandaragama), Rathnapura(Embilipitiya), Puttlamand Vavuniyadistricts-Positive

•25,000 houses will be constructed for the plantation sector. Land and the amenities will be provided free of cost by the government –Positive

 

Hotel & travel sector

•Providing an interest subsidy for hotels that were in operation for over 10 years on the expenditure for refurbish and upgrade the facilities–Positive

•Tourist Promotional Bureau to organize a cultural show to be held every day except on religious holidays in the main tourist cities utilizing the Tourism Development Fund –Positive

•LKR 1Bn to construction of a MICE Convention Centre in Colombo with a seating capacity of 5,000–Positive

•Grant Custom duty waivers on Surf Boards, Quad Bikes, Leisure Boats, and Jet Skis.-Positive

•Promote medical and inclusion of Ayurvedicmedicine in insurance cover.–Positive

•Introduction of a domestic airline which will include the Sri Lanka Air Force, the hotel industry, travel agents and other private sector stakeholders.–Positive

•Government to provide a common technology platform for the country’s lodging businesses and impose taxes as applicable to the formal sector and impose a 0.5% Tourism Development Levy on such businesses which has a revenue of less than LKR 12Mn per annum. –Negative

•Hotel and Travel Sector Terminating minimum room rate regime by 2018 Impact will depend on the type of hotel -Neutral

 

Telecommunication

sector

•Form a Company on PPP which will own the Telecommunication Towers –Positive

•Sri Lanka Telecom will invest around Rs. 10Bn in iconic buildings -these buildings will be a hub for investments and economic activities –Positive

•Telecommunication levy on data services to be increased up to 25% -Negative

•Mobile operators to provide at least 3G coverage and will be liable for a surcharge at LKR 100Mn per uncovered district –Negative

•Imposing LKR 200 of SIM activation levy per new SIM –Negative

•Annual Spectrum charge to be increased by 25% -Negative

•Services provided by external gateway operators to local operators will be expemtfrom VAT & NBT -Positive

 

Insurance sector

•Merge the SamurdhiInsurance and Cooperative Insurance Company by 30th June 2017–Neutral

•AgraharaInsurance Benefit schemeto be extended to full time benefit and coverage to semi government school Teachers -Positive

•Introducing an insurance scheme for all school going children from the age of 5-19 -Positive

•Proposed to expand the crop insurance scheme to cover the major food crops of Potatoes, Big Onions, Chilies, Maize and Soya as well-Positive

•Recoup a minimum insurable claim of LKR 25,000 through the insurance policy of the vehicle enagedin an accident, for health expenditure of casualties admitted to state hospitals-Neutral

 

Poultry sector

•Relaxing the ceiling on chicken price but encouraging to maintain at LKR 420 per kilogram and instructed 40% of the market to be whole chicken –Positive

•Encourage the private sector to establish hatcheries, government support will be through the New Comprehensive Rural Credit Scheme (NCRC) -Positive

•CESS paid by millers who import the maize shortage in local market, will be reimbursed as an export rebate on the export of Chicken -Neutral

•Encourage poultry producers to provide Refrigerators to 15,000 new self-employed traders, on a 48 month credit basis. The interest will be borne by the Government -Positive

•Encourage private sector investors to invest in the out grower system which includes at least 10,000 out grower farmers with a total land extent of at least 20,000 acres. Government will bear 50% of the interest cost-Positive

 

Hospital and

pharmaceutical sector

•Allocate LKR 100Mn to establish a Biotechnology Innovation Park which will provide facilities mainly for companies engaged in the Pharmaceutical Industry. Allocate LKR 150Mn to expand the Pharmaceutical Labs. –Positive

•Training for 10,000 youth and at the end of the training period, will be recruited to the relevant industry –Positive

•Encourage establishing 4 Free Trade Zones targeting in Kalutara(Bandaragama), Rathnapura(Embilipitiya), Puttlamand Vavuniyadistricts-Positive

 

Apparel sector

•Allow apparel companies to invest in overseas entities involved in apparel design and manufacture up to 5% of their average export turnover –Positive

•Establish 15 export villages, on a PPP basis focusing mainly on the thrust industries such as IT, Robotics, Fashion, High End Apparel and Boat Manufacturing –Positive

•Support investment relief to businesses that will invest in backward integration in apparel and textile industry which includes sizing, dyeing and finishing units –Positive

•Training for 10,000 youth and at the end of the training period, will be recruited to the relevant industry –Positive

 

Motor sector

•Encourage establishing 4 Free Trade Zones targeting in Kalutara(Bandaragama), Rathnapura(Embilipitiya), Puttlamand Vavuniyadistricts-Positive

•Government to bear 50% of the interest cost of financing 1,000 electric cars to replace three wheelers in Colombo district. Providing an interest subsidy of 75% to upgrade the school vans to 32 seaterbuses. –Positive

•Loan to Value ratio (LTV) to be limited for vehicle categories –Negative

•Proposed to reduce excise duty on electric cars with motor power less than 100kw –Positive

•Proposed to introduce carbon tax for all carbon fuel run vehicles –Neutral

•Incentive proposed to encourage exporting vehicles older than 5 years -Positive

 

Trading sector

•Establishment of a Maritime Authority with the participation of both the private and public sector. –Positive

•Allocate LKR 500 million to promote Aquaculture Industry Zones in Hambanthota, Mannarand Batticaloa–Positive

 

Land and property

•Repeal Rent Act –Positive

•Remove freehold right restrictions for foreigners. Allow foreigners who will be purchasing condominiums, to raise 40% of the cost from a domestic bank –Positive

 

Other

CTC-Request Ceylon Tobacco Company to donate LKR 500Mn to the Presidential Fund –Negative

ABAN, SINS, SHL, BRWN -Sri Lanka State Trading Corporation to establish a mega showroom, which will carry all household items and appliances–Negative

LIOC-Augment cross country pipeline and improving storage facilities at CPC, acquire & develop the regional bulk depot at Kankasanthurai. CPC & LIOC to rehabilitate and develop the Upper Oil Tank farm at Trincomalee–Positive

 

Capital markets

•Introduce the Demutualization Bill during the 1st quarter of 2017. Colombo Stock Exchange will then be converted to a company with shares being held by shareholders.

•Introduce Securitizations Act during 2017 which will facilitate the diversified investment opportunities.

•Utilize the Euroclearfacility by 30th June 2017. This will improve the outreach of the Treasury bond market to foreign investors and enhance transparency

•Benchmark securities for Treasury bonds at 2 years, 5 years, and 10 years. This will increase the liquidity of the government bond market issuances.

•Specialized Fund Manager Companies and Actuaries to professionally guide state institutions to maximize returns.

•Given the significant potential for Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT), facilitate the SEC in introducing amendments to the unit trust code.

•Separate board for the listing of SME’s with less stringent rules, which will enable them to have access to low cost capital.

•List at least 25 Companies in the Colombo Stock Exchange CSC. Invite foreign companies to be listed in the Colombo Stock Exchange

•List non-strategic enterprises such as Hyatt, Grand Oriental Hotel, Waters Edge, West Coast, ManthaiSalt, HambanthotaSalt and Hilton during 2017.

•The new firms that will list on the stock exchange in the year 2017/18 will be entitled to a grant of an amount equal to 25 percent of the total income tax paid by that firm for the last year prior to listing.

•Propose to allocate LKR 75 Mnto develop an automated Commodity Exchange

•Designed a Capital Market Strategy, which includes an advisory board consisting of key stakeholders, who will guide the implementation of the strategy and enhance the development of the Capital Market activities.

•Introduce a new Securities and Exchange Act during the 1st quarter of 2017, which will provide the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) with enhanced enforcement capacity, and greater flexibility in operations.

•The Notional tax credit will be removed and the income on instruments subject to upfront tax such as Treasury Bills, Bonds or Corporate Debt Securities will be taxable on the net interes

2 Re: Budget impact on Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:40 pm

ddrperera


Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
@Yahapalanaya wrote:Budget 2017-impact on sectors
November 25, 2016, 9:19 pm 


All sectors

•Requests for a license, permit or permission from government agency is deemed to have been granted, if no reply is received within 10 working days –Positive

•Introduce laws which give Public Limited Companies freehold right of land–Positive

•75% waiver on PAL when importing High Tec, automated machinery &equipment–Positive

•Mandatory for all companies with more than 500 employees to establish Child Care Centers. -Negative

•Aim to reduce the interest cost by at least LKR 90Bn. Domestic interest rates to decrease by at least 1.5%.-Positive

•Rent out government sector assets that are not being utilized fully to the general public and private companies -Positive

 

Banking and finance sector

•Increase the minimum capital of Licensed Commercial Banks, Licensed Specialized Banks & Primary Dealers. Encourage voluntary consolidation of financial institutions –Positive

•Allocating LKR 7.5 Bnfor capital infusion and amalgamate the HDFC Bank and State Mortgage and Investment Bank to create Housing Bank -Neutral

•Amalgamate Cooperative Rural Banks and DivinegumaBank to create micro lending focused bank –Negative

•Review the restriction single shareholder limit for banks &the restricted of 9 years on the tenure for the Boards of Directors. –Positive

•Allocating LKR 3Bn to settle the claims of depositors of Golden Key. –Positive

•Allocating the capital of LKR 10Mn and issuing a LKR 10Bn Treasury bond to establish the Financial Asset Management Agency. –Positive

Banking and Finance Sector

•Continue the senior citizens deposit scheme during 2017 -Negative

•Increase the registration fee for pawning per annum–Negative

•Allocate LKR 500 million as seed capital for the SMEs, directing banks to allocate minimum 10% of their loan portfolio to the –Neutral

•Defining minimum proportions for banks' lending portfolio to be directed for Agriculture, SME, Exports, Tourism, Youth, Women and business development.–Negative

•Imposing 2% fee on cash transactions above LKR 5Mn –Positive

•Expanding the applicability of the Debt Recovery Provisions Act to all LSBs & Licensed Finance Companies. –Positive

•Loan to Value ratio (LTV) to be limited for vehicle categories –Negative

•Establish a Consumer Financial Protection Authority to enhance integrity of system.–Negative

•Discontinue the provision of loans to members by the EPF -Positive

•Encourage Banks to introduce a credit scheme for households who are willing to transfer to solar energy –Positive

•Any company is permitted to borrow internationally on the strength of their Balance Sheet, Proposed to remove the restrictions imposed by the Non-Bank Financial Institutions (NBFI) –Positive

•New statute to cover pyramid schemes with strong enforcement –Positive

•Financial transactions levy at the rate of LKR 5 per LKR 10,000 on the total cash transactions and will be treated as expenditure for income tax purpose -Negative

•Government to bear 50% of the interest cost of financing 1,000 electric cars to replace three wheelers in Colombo district. Providing an interest subsidy of 75% to upgrade the school vans to 32 seaterbuses. –Positive

•Government to provide 50% interest subsidy for loans for houses with an existing floor area of less than 750 square feet–Positive

•The National Savings Bank and new Housing Bank will provide a loan facility for potential home owners at an all-inclusive rate of 7% –Positive

•Introducing a Payment Guarantee Security Act securing dues of firms–Positive

 

Construction, engineering & building material sector

•Encourage the private sector companies to engage in mechanical sea sand washing in designated areas–Positive

•Fiberglass reinforcement, which is a high quality building material, will commence production in Sri Lanka–Positive

•Introduce a Payment Guarantee Security Act–Positive

•Property of Sri Lanka Ports Authority (SLPA) in prime locations which will be utilized for commercial purposes.–Positive

•Private sector will be invited to put up 350,000 housing in the next 3 years. Land and the amenities will be provided free of cost by the government–Positive

•Double tracking the railway of the Polgahawela–Kurunegalasection, Aluthgama–Galle section. Extending the railway line from Kankesanthuraito ponnalaijunction and KelaniValley railway line up to Ratnapura–Positive

•Expedite the construction of 50,000 houses in the North and the East and allocate LKR 5,000 million. –Positive

•Allocating Rs. 4,500 million to develop 1,000 km of road length in rural areas and Rs. 3,000 million, for restoration, rehabilitation and desiltingof 1,500 small tanks –Positive

•Plan to upgrade each city with modern facilities and to construct a new building for the National Library in Colombo –Positive

•Special incentive package with specific tax concessions for Landmark Investments of over USD 100Mn and investments over USD 500Mn –Positive

•Remove the Cessof 25% which is applicable on pre-fabricated structures–Positive

•Extending the KatunayakeExpressway up to Puttlam, the Southern Expressway from Godagamato and the Outer Circular Road from Kadawathato Kerewelapitiya. –Positive

•Commence work on the elevated highways connecting the new KelaniBridge to Athurugiriyaand the KelaniBridge to the Port area -Positive

•Training for 10,000 youth and at the end of the training period, will be recruited to the relevant industry –Positive

•Sri Lanka Telecom will invest around Rs. 10Bn in iconic buildings -these buildings will be a hub for investments and economic activities –Positive

•25,000 houses will be constructed for the plantation sector. Land and the amenities will be provided free of cost by the government –Positive

•Remove freehold right restrictions for foreigners. Allow foreigners who will be purchasing condominiums, to raise 40% of the cost from a domestic bank –Positive

•Government to provide 50% interest subsidy for loans for houses with an existing floor area of less than 750 square feet–Positive

•The National Savings Bank and new Housing Bank will provide a loan facility for potential home owners at an all-inclusive rate of 7% –Positive

 

Plantations sector

•Import Export control fee of 1% on CIF price of Tea to be abolished –Positive

•Maximum acreage that can be held by any stand-alone RPC company, without being allowed to consolidate, restricted to 5,000 acres. –Negative

•Allocate LKR 75 million to develop an automated Commodity Exchange. –Positive

•Investments into the rubber sector with LKR 900 million being allocated for replanting –Positive

•Offer 7 perches land with clear title deed to each family who are living in the Line rooms –Neutral

•Tax rate of 14% will be applicable for the profits and income of Agriculture products -Negative

•Encourage establishing 4 Free Trade Zones targeting in Kalutara(Bandaragama), Rathnapura(Embilipitiya), Puttlamand Vavuniyadistricts-Positive

•25,000 houses will be constructed for the plantation sector. Land and the amenities will be provided free of cost by the government –Positive

 

Hotel & travel sector

•Providing an interest subsidy for hotels that were in operation for over 10 years on the expenditure for refurbish and upgrade the facilities–Positive

•Tourist Promotional Bureau to organize a cultural show to be held every day except on religious holidays in the main tourist cities utilizing the Tourism Development Fund –Positive

•LKR 1Bn to construction of a MICE Convention Centre in Colombo with a seating capacity of 5,000–Positive

•Grant Custom duty waivers on Surf Boards, Quad Bikes, Leisure Boats, and Jet Skis.-Positive

•Promote medical and inclusion of Ayurvedicmedicine in insurance cover.–Positive

•Introduction of a domestic airline which will include the Sri Lanka Air Force, the hotel industry, travel agents and other private sector stakeholders.–Positive

•Government to provide a common technology platform for the country’s lodging businesses and impose taxes as applicable to the formal sector and impose a 0.5% Tourism Development Levy on such businesses which has a revenue of less than LKR 12Mn per annum. –Negative

•Hotel and Travel Sector Terminating minimum room rate regime by 2018 Impact will depend on the type of hotel -Neutral

 

Telecommunication

sector

•Form a Company on PPP which will own the Telecommunication Towers –Positive

•Sri Lanka Telecom will invest around Rs. 10Bn in iconic buildings -these buildings will be a hub for investments and economic activities –Positive

•Telecommunication levy on data services to be increased up to 25% -Negative

•Mobile operators to provide at least 3G coverage and will be liable for a surcharge at LKR 100Mn per uncovered district –Negative

•Imposing LKR 200 of SIM activation levy per new SIM –Negative

•Annual Spectrum charge to be increased by 25% -Negative

•Services provided by external gateway operators to local operators will be expemtfrom VAT & NBT -Positive

 

Insurance sector

•Merge the SamurdhiInsurance and Cooperative Insurance Company by 30th June 2017–Neutral

•AgraharaInsurance Benefit schemeto be extended to full time benefit and coverage to semi government school Teachers -Positive

•Introducing an insurance scheme for all school going children from the age of 5-19 -Positive

•Proposed to expand the crop insurance scheme to cover the major food crops of Potatoes, Big Onions, Chilies, Maize and Soya as well-Positive

•Recoup a minimum insurable claim of LKR 25,000 through the insurance policy of the vehicle enagedin an accident, for health expenditure of casualties admitted to state hospitals-Neutral

 

Poultry sector

•Relaxing the ceiling on chicken price but encouraging to maintain at LKR 420 per kilogram and instructed 40% of the market to be whole chicken –Positive

•Encourage the private sector to establish hatcheries, government support will be through the New Comprehensive Rural Credit Scheme (NCRC) -Positive

•CESS paid by millers who import the maize shortage in local market, will be reimbursed as an export rebate on the export of Chicken -Neutral

•Encourage poultry producers to provide Refrigerators to 15,000 new self-employed traders, on a 48 month credit basis. The interest will be borne by the Government -Positive

•Encourage private sector investors to invest in the out grower system which includes at least 10,000 out grower farmers with a total land extent of at least 20,000 acres. Government will bear 50% of the interest cost-Positive

 

Hospital and

pharmaceutical sector

•Allocate LKR 100Mn to establish a Biotechnology Innovation Park which will provide facilities mainly for companies engaged in the Pharmaceutical Industry. Allocate LKR 150Mn to expand the Pharmaceutical Labs. –Positive

•Training for 10,000 youth and at the end of the training period, will be recruited to the relevant industry –Positive

•Encourage establishing 4 Free Trade Zones targeting in Kalutara(Bandaragama), Rathnapura(Embilipitiya), Puttlamand Vavuniyadistricts-Positive

 

Apparel sector

•Allow apparel companies to invest in overseas entities involved in apparel design and manufacture up to 5% of their average export turnover –Positive

•Establish 15 export villages, on a PPP basis focusing mainly on the thrust industries such as IT, Robotics, Fashion, High End Apparel and Boat Manufacturing –Positive

•Support investment relief to businesses that will invest in backward integration in apparel and textile industry which includes sizing, dyeing and finishing units –Positive

•Training for 10,000 youth and at the end of the training period, will be recruited to the relevant industry –Positive

 

Motor sector

•Encourage establishing 4 Free Trade Zones targeting in Kalutara(Bandaragama), Rathnapura(Embilipitiya), Puttlamand Vavuniyadistricts-Positive

•Government to bear 50% of the interest cost of financing 1,000 electric cars to replace three wheelers in Colombo district. Providing an interest subsidy of 75% to upgrade the school vans to 32 seaterbuses. –Positive

•Loan to Value ratio (LTV) to be limited for vehicle categories –Negative

•Proposed to reduce excise duty on electric cars with motor power less than 100kw –Positive

•Proposed to introduce carbon tax for all carbon fuel run vehicles –Neutral

•Incentive proposed to encourage exporting vehicles older than 5 years -Positive

 

Trading sector

•Establishment of a Maritime Authority with the participation of both the private and public sector. –Positive

•Allocate LKR 500 million to promote Aquaculture Industry Zones in Hambanthota, Mannarand Batticaloa–Positive

 

Land and property

•Repeal Rent Act –Positive

•Remove freehold right restrictions for foreigners. Allow foreigners who will be purchasing condominiums, to raise 40% of the cost from a domestic bank –Positive

 

Other

CTC-Request Ceylon Tobacco Company to donate LKR 500Mn to the Presidential Fund –Negative

ABAN, SINS, SHL, BRWN -Sri Lanka State Trading Corporation to establish a mega showroom, which will carry all household items and appliances–Negative

LIOC-Augment cross country pipeline and improving storage facilities at CPC, acquire & develop the regional bulk depot at Kankasanthurai. CPC & LIOC to rehabilitate and develop the Upper Oil Tank farm at Trincomalee–Positive

 

Capital markets

•Introduce the Demutualization Bill during the 1st quarter of 2017. Colombo Stock Exchange will then be converted to a company with shares being held by shareholders.

•Introduce Securitizations Act during 2017 which will facilitate the diversified investment opportunities.

•Utilize the Euroclearfacility by 30th June 2017. This will improve the outreach of the Treasury bond market to foreign investors and enhance transparency

•Benchmark securities for Treasury bonds at 2 years, 5 years, and 10 years. This will increase the liquidity of the government bond market issuances.

•Specialized Fund Manager Companies and Actuaries to professionally guide state institutions to maximize returns.

•Given the significant potential for Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT), facilitate the SEC in introducing amendments to the unit trust code.

•Separate board for the listing of SME’s with less stringent rules, which will enable them to have access to low cost capital.

•List at least 25 Companies in the Colombo Stock Exchange CSC. Invite foreign companies to be listed in the Colombo Stock Exchange

•List non-strategic enterprises such as Hyatt, Grand Oriental Hotel, Waters Edge, West Coast, ManthaiSalt, HambanthotaSalt and Hilton during 2017.

•The new firms that will list on the stock exchange in the year 2017/18 will be entitled to a grant of an amount equal to 25 percent of the total income tax paid by that firm for the last year prior to listing.

•Propose to allocate LKR 75 Mnto develop an automated Commodity Exchange

•Designed a Capital Market Strategy, which includes an advisory board consisting of key stakeholders, who will guide the implementation of the strategy and enhance the development of the Capital Market activities.

•Introduce a new Securities and Exchange Act during the 1st quarter of 2017, which will provide the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) with enhanced enforcement capacity, and greater flexibility in operations.

•The Notional tax credit will be removed and the income on instruments subject to upfront tax such as Treasury Bills, Bonds or Corporate Debt Securities will be taxable on the net interes


over all analysis positive to CSE...DON'T AFRAID...

3 Re: Budget impact on Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:45 pm

DANIDU


Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
Sector-wise Income Tax Revisions proposed for FY 2017 

Sector                                                           Current          Proposed  
Agriculture                                                   10% & 12%         14%  
Alternative energy including mini hydro power          12%             28%  
Banks & Finance Institutions                                   28%             28%  
Branch established for development banking             24%             28%  
Charitable Institutions, ETF,EPF or Pension Fund         10%            14%  
Construction                                                        12%             28%  
Corporate Debt Securities (WHT)                            10%             14%  
Dividends                                                           10%             14%  
Education                                                            10%            14%  
Entrepot Trade                                                   exempt          14%  
Export of goods and deemed exports                        12%            14%  
Government Securities (WHT)                                 10%            14%  
Healthcare Services                                               12%           28%  
Income from petroleum exploration                          12%           28%  
Interest received from any bank deposit                    10%          14%  
Manufacture of animal feed                                     12%           28%  
Poultry farming                                                     12%           28%  
SME -Taxable Income below 5Mn                              12%           28%  
Tourism                                                                12%           28%  
Unit Trusts and Mutual Funds                                    10%           14%  
Venture capital company                                          12%          28%

4 Re: Budget impact on Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:42 pm

Chinwi

avatar
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
@DANIDU wrote:Sector-wise Income Tax Revisions proposed for FY 2017 

Sector                                                           Current          Proposed  
Agriculture                                                   10% & 12%         14%  
Alternative energy including mini hydro power          12%             28%  
Banks & Finance Institutions                                   28%             28%  
Branch established for development banking             24%             28%  
Charitable Institutions, ETF,EPF or Pension Fund         10%            14%  
Construction                                                        12%             28%  
Corporate Debt Securities (WHT)                            10%             14%  
Dividends                                                           10%             14%  
Education                                                            10%            14%  
Entrepot Trade                                                   exempt          14%  
Export of goods and deemed exports                        12%            14%  
Government Securities (WHT)                                 10%            14%  
Healthcare Services                                               12%           28%  
Income from petroleum exploration                          12%           28%  
Interest received from any bank deposit                    10%          14%  
Manufacture of animal feed                                     12%           28%  
Poultry farming                                                     12%           28%  
SME -Taxable Income below 5Mn                              12%           28%  
Tourism                                                                12%           28%  
Unit Trusts and Mutual Funds                                    10%           14%  
Venture capital company                                          12%          28%


Wow ! Maara positive ne .

Healthcare Services          12%      ->      28%  

මිනිස්සු ආණ් ඩුවේ හොස්පිටිතාල වලට ගියාම රජයට මුදල් වැය වෙනව​. ඒ අයව පුලුවන් තරම්  පුද්ගලික රෝහල් වලට යැව්වම ඒ මිනිස්සු තමන් ම මුදල් ගෙවන නිසා වාර්ශිකව රජය  වෙන් කරන මුදල අඩු කරගෙන අයවැය ට සහනයක් වෙනව​. ​

දැන් ඒ මිනිස්සු ගෙවන මුදලට 28% ක් බදු ගහනව​.  රජයේ මුදල් නොගෙන තමන් ම වැය කරන අයට දඬුවම් කිරීම  යහ පාලනයේ තවත් එක් නල්ල මලේ තියරියක්.
දැන්  මෙතෙක් කල් පුද්ගලික හොස්පිටිතාල වලට ගිය මිනිස්සු කොටසක් ආන්ඩුවෙ ඒවට එන්න ගනී.
එවිට ඒව ඉස්-ගෙඩි- පිරි-ච්ච  ඉස්පිරිතාල වෙනව​.  


පුද්ගලික ඉස්කෝල වලට ගෙවන සල්ලි වලට දඬුවම් කිරීමද මේ හා සමානයි.

5 Re: Budget impact on Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:32 pm

anges


Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
there is no positive side in this budget ! even if there was a positive side to it because of the taxes it will disappear ! lets hope and pray at least the chinese and japanese investments will come soon rather than late !

6 Re: Budget impact on Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:48 pm

Chinwi

avatar
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
As I understood, increased taxes should erode earnings at top and bottom levels and present profit making shares may not report same profits in future.
(Low revenue at top and increased tax % as bottom.)

Somehow, as this is a common effect , some profit making companies should attract investors to them leaving worst affected ones.

Export oriented , power generators, non-local leisure (hotel) like shares may not experience low revenue or decrease sales.

7 Re: Budget impact on Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:58 pm

Brinthan

avatar
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
@Chinwi wrote:
Export oriented , power generators, non-local leisure (hotel) like shares may not experience low revenue or decrease sales.
Chinwi Sir I don't understand what do u try to tell from above sentense...Please describe

8 Re: Budget impact on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:09 pm

nimantha80


Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
@Brinthan wrote:
@Chinwi wrote:
Export oriented , power generators, non-local leisure (hotel) like shares may not experience low revenue or decrease sales.
Chinwi Sir I don't understand what do u try to tell from above sentense...Please describe
It's simple logic man.Locals purchasing power won't matter for these shares.In another way the inflation.Depreciating currency is good for exports.

9 Re: Budget impact on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:55 pm

DANIDU


Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
Somehow there are positive factors for Export Companies and for items exporting by other companies as below.

Exporters of goods and services, Agricultural sector will be subjected to the lower rate of 14 percent. (Before 12%)

Create new markets for exports through trade agreements particularly with India, China and Singapore.

Win GSP+ again

Exporters will be granted a rebate of an amount equal to the 75 percent of the tax attributable to the excess earnings that arises as a result of an increase of 15 percent or more foreign currency earnings for the year of assessment 2016/17 compared to 2015/16.

Develop an automated Commodity Exchange for Tea, Rubber and Coconut

Cess on export of locally value added rubber will be increased to Rs. 15 per killograme.

Also Depreciating currency is good for exports.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum